We believe that the most important thing to combat any virus is having a strong immune system. Eating a healthy, plant-based diet is number one on our list. After this, daily exercise, getting enough rest and a bit of sunlight each day also helps. But for some it is not so simple to achieve, and with the virus enduring and no sign of it disappearing anytime soon, we have developed these guidelines that hosts should follow to keep themselves and their guests safe.
1) First, clean surfaces using soap and water, then use recommended disinfectants (for instance, in the US EPA-registered household disinfectants). One of our favorite brands to use is CleanWell’s (the lemon-scent wipes and spray disinfectant smells amazing!) because all of their products are nontoxic, alcohol-free, cruelty-free and come in recyclable packaging. So you don’t have to worry about inhaling all those nasty chemicals that are also harmful to your health in order to safely clean your home :)
2) Practice daily cleaning of high-touch surfaces like tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, thermostats, desks, toilets, faucets, sinks, etc.
3) Don’t forget soft surfaces: for carpeted floor, rugs and drapes, clean with appropriate cleaners. If possible, launder items as appropriate.
4) Avoid sharing electronics. For touch screens, remote controls or keyboards, follow manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning. If no guidance is available, consider using natural disinfectant wipes.
5) For linens, towels and other items that go in the laundry, wash hands after handling them. Do not shake! Launder items as appropriate, possibly using the warmest appropriate water setting and dry items completely. Clean and disinfect clothes hampers. Place a bag liner that is either disposable or can be washed.
6) Empty the vacuum cleaner after every cleaning. Disinfect the vacuum cleaner, along with other cleaning appliances like the washing machine.
In addition to cleaning, the CDC also recommends a 24-hour period before entering a space occupied by a person who may have been exposed to COVID-19.
We have included the following options under safety amenities that you can add to your listing(s):
• 24-hour period between two bookings
• 48-hour period between two bookings
• 72-hour period between two bookings
*Please note that your calendar must be manually updated by you by going to your calendar and blocking out the dates accordingly.
For those renting a private or shared room, you have the option to commit to wearing a mask/face covering at home when in common areas, and intend to practice physical distancing at all times.
To opt in for any of these safety procedures: Go to the Host menu at the top of the site, select Manage Listings, and then the green button that says Edit Listing. Click on the Change link under Step 1, and select the Amenities tab at the top. Scroll down to the Safety amenities, and select the ones that you would like to add to your listing. Once you are done, select Save and Exit on the top right.
Be sure to follow COVID-19 guidelines and recommendations from local health authorities and make sure your guests do too. You can enforce new house rules such as:
• Respect physical distancing at all times. If it’s not possible, wear a mask/face covering inside your home and require guests to wear one too.
• Be mindful and try to limit touching surfaces with your hands in common areas.
• Cover your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Dispose of the used tissue immediately.
To add House Rules: Go to the Host menu at the top of the site, select Manage Listings, and then the green button that says Edit Listing. Click on the Change link under Step 3, and select the House Rules tab at the top. Scroll down to the text box that says Additional Rules, and add your rules here. Once you are done, select Save and Exit on the top right.
Inform your guests you are going above and beyond to minimize any risks, and keep the virus away from your home. Update your listing description, add new safety amenities, and highlight these efforts when you reply to a booking request.
Travelers appreciate flexibility in terms of canceling or rescheduling their stays now more than ever before. To help them out, consider updating your cancellation policy from Strict to Flexible, for the time being. They’ll feel better about booking your place, knowing that if they need to cancel their refund will be better.
To change your cancellation policy: Go to the Host menu at the top of the site, select Manage Listings, and then the green button that says Edit Listing. Click on the Change link under Step 3, and select the Cancellation Policy tab at the top. Under Cancellation Policy, select Flexible. Once you’re done, select Save and Exit on the top right.
One way to mitigate the risk of infection is to limit the number of guests who stay at your place, so why not offer a discount for longer stays? A significant discount after one week or one month is an excellent incentive for a guest to stay longer.
To add a weekly or monthly discount: Go to the Host menu at the top of the site, select Manage Listings, and then the green button that says Edit Listing. Click on the Change link under Step 3, and select the Discount tab at the top. Input a percentage discount for both weekly and monthly stays. Once you’re done, select Save and Exit on the top right.
You can also extend your minimum stay to several days to limit the number of guests by selecting the Min/Max Nights tab and increasing the minimum number of days.
With everyone’s future so uncertain, travelers are more likely to make last-minute plans. You can really help out the Vegvisits community by being flexible, and having your place ready to take on last minute bookings!
If you experience a loss of smell or taste, feel unwell, have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention and follow the directions of your local health authority. Contact Vegvisits to cancel all bookings until you’re recovered.
For those who are just interested in traveling, check out our guidelines for guests. If you have any further suggestions or recommendations for us, we’d love to hear from you! Just click here to send us an email :)